Saturday, August 27, 2016

push notifications intermittently fail to come through while screen is off

This problem shows up periodically when I leave my S7 stationary on a desk or table while in discharge mode. I found an xda thread describing the exact symptoms, but for the S6. My phone is an S7, of course. That S6 thread is here: http://ift.tt/2bpNNPb

I have my device set so notifications will appear on the lock screen. And under Settings > Notifications I have about 5 apps set for priority mode. That works consistently to bring notifications from those apps to the top of the notification list. The problem is that occasionally when the screen turns off --not consistently-- all push notifications are suppressed until I turn on the screen again. At this point, all of the suppressed, pending notifications fire off their associated alert sounds and each of their alert banners pop onto the lock screen. I can never know when the notifications are going to be suppressed like this when I toggle off the screen or when it times out on its own.

Am I the only one who experiences this issue on the S7? I had possession of some other S7's some months back and at least two of them demonstrated similar intermittent push notification behavior. However, I had no idea exactly what was happening at the time (i.e, whether it was the individual apps malfunctioning or perhaps a lagging issue with the servers/networks they were using). But from my experience to date, it appears that the absence of notifications on those devices during screen off mode may have been the same issue.

There was a great deal of concern about this within the S6 thread I've cited above. But no definite solutions were given; the general hope was that a future update would correct the problem on the S6 and that the S7 with android 6 marshmallow would hopefully not include the intermittent notification problem. If I've missed an informative thread on this issue relevant to the S7 (or the S7 edge) please direct me accordingly.

Thanks


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2bpXf8i
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment