Sunday, April 17, 2016

After April build MOB30D, location remaining "stuck" on and draining battery/preventi

So I clean flashed the newest 6.0.1 April build, MOB30D on Wednesday, and twice since then, I've picked up my idle phone to discover the GPS icon in the status bar, and it simply doesn't go away like it normally would after checking location. It stays there in the status bar as if I'm actively using navigation. This morning, it managed to drain 6% of my battery in the 51 minutes after unplugging, when my device was just sitting there in my kitchen with perfectly decent wifi and mobile signal.

The first time it did this, I rebooted. Today, on a hunch, I went to app permissions and one by one, I revoked location from any apps that had it. The icon stayed there until I revoked Google Maps' location permission, and then it immediately went away. So, I don't know if this is a problem with Google Maps or Android itself failing to correctly "end" a location scan, but it's a serious bug issue that drains a lot of battery and actually prevents doze from kicking in. I checked GSAM and although my device had been perfectly still for 51 minutes, it had 0% doze time. Has anyone else experienced this?

For the record, my location settings are:
Device Only
Location History off
Wifi and Bluetooth scanning off.

I only allow 8 apps access to location because I value my battery life and try to prevent idle drain as much as possible.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1Wz8UCr
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment