Saturday, July 30, 2016

Adding compass sensor to Galaxy Tab A

Hi!

I'm new on this forum, and really happy to join the community.
I bought a Galaxy Tab A SM-T550 for my daughter, and I discover that there is no gyro/compass/magnetometer sensor that prevent using some apps.
After some cry, I decided to look for a DIY solution.

After some research, I found that some Android compass sensors have a I2C interface (e.g. AK8975) (sorry I can't post links yet).
I also found Android linux kernel drivers for this sensor.
As I have professional soldering skills/tool (even for BGA), and good Linux / kernel / driver skills, but nothing on Android (except modifying small programs and follow tutorial to install custom roms), I'm wondering if it is feasible to simply solder this sensor to the Galaxy Tab Mother board and directly have the compass feature in Android apps.

The requested actions I identified:
1. identify and order the sensor
2. Identify the I2C bus on Galaxy Tab A motherboard, plus power and ground signals
3. Identify a place to solder the sensor without risk to prevent casing mounting
4. Solder
5. be sure that the stock kernel supports this driver
6. Be sure that the driver is embedded in the kernel or the module is loaded

I'm wondering if someone with android and hardware experiences could help me to:
- tell me if this idea is totally crazy or seem feasible
- tell me if I identify the good tasks
- to find informations for some of the tasks (specially locate the I2C bus on motherboard)
- maybe propose another solution.

Thanks a lot!

Laurent.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2ayCvu8
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment