Monday, April 18, 2016

1: "Ghost" notif sound/vibe ~1/min? 2: Call blocking w/o Call Master app (req. root)

First a quick success story (*Please* skip straight to the 2 questions below if you are pressed for time. This story has nothing to do with my 2 problems/questions): I just got this phone Friday, after talking to Sprint's Customer Retention Department (how I love them - miracle workers) to get out of an existing lease on my previous phone, the Galaxy S5 "Sport", which was a BIG mistake to get. I still had another 14 months left on the lease, and I was SO sick of the phone, so I called threatening to cancel my service. I just made up a story that T-Mobile had offered to pay my early termination fees and give me a free S7 Edge and the "Jump" program. I told them that I really did not want to leave Sprint, but I felt like they were giving me no choice. *Boom*. Lease canceled with no fees, phone buyback amount credited, and a $25 loyalty rebate next month to offset the ONLY thing I had to pay (the $30 activation fee) when picked up the S7 Edge a Sprint Corporate store less than an hour later. Felt like I got away with a crime! The store employee was combative at first after looking at the notes on my account, so I just called Customer Retention again on speaker phone, and I happened to get the same nice young lady, who proceeded to verbally and emotionally abuse/bully the store employee into doing *exactly* what she said, including apologizing to me for his "incompetence" (her word!). I was blown away. This was all on a whim. I didn't wake up on Friday planning to do this, so I had an unexpectedly enjoyable weekend with my new precious. I was disappointed at first about the relatively small amount of Root/Kernel/ROM discussion going on, but I got over that very quickly. I love Samsung pay already anyway.

Hope that made some of you chuckle.
2 questions for the Sprint S7E vets.... I scoured this phone's entire forum group for the answers to both of them, but with no success:

1. I am hearing the default notification sound (or a single short vibration pulse if ringer is set to vibrate), VERY frequently. Every 30 seconds, then 45, then 30 seconds again, then 1 minute, and yet.... there is nothing in the notification pull-down indicating any activity. It's not a "persistent" notif for a new email/gmail/text/FB-event that I haven't truly acknowledged. There is LITERALLY nothing visible happening on the phone. No LED behavior change, no icon counters on any home screen, or in the app drawer. There is NOTHING to acknowledge. I feel like Jack in The Shining... more and more with each vibration! I have gone into settings/notifications (basic and advanced) and blocked notifs from every app I saw that I didn't see any reason for it to notify me, but the notifs keep coming, and coming.... Could blocking individual app notifs as I did have actually created this problem somehow, ironically enough? This problem is the one that I can't make it through the day without going insane if I can't figure it out. WOW.

2. My primary reason to root in the past, other than bloatware removal and the hotspot mod, was an app requiring root that I have run on my last 6 phones, going back to the original Epic 4G. It's called Call Master (by "Fahrbot") and it is one of the most complex and comprehensive apps I've every used, besides some of the Wanam apps/plugins. It's the most comprehensive call blocking app as far as I know, and that's why it requires root, to hook into the phone services in order to catch/answer/hang-up any call from any number that is not in my contact list. It prevents non-contacts/unknown/restricted/private numbers from even ringing my phone, let alone leaving me a voicemail. They just hear dead air when they dial my number. In effect, it is a "white-list" call blocking root only app, and I I simply can't live without it. I haven't had time yet to test the built in so-called "blocking" settings of the S7E, but if it sends them to my VM, well... that's call rejection, not call blocking, right?.

Sorry for the length. Any and all thoughts/ideas appreciated. The "ghost" notif issue is driving me insane even as I type this... OMG!


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/1pby7VY
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment