Monday, May 23, 2016

The combination of Greenify and Doze Settings seems to be TOO good

* sorry for my English.

Okay guys, I know many of us Android fanboys are obsessed of Dozing and Greenifying and Napping or whatever that keeps their phone deepsleep. I used to be one of them, but now I'm too old and following those guides from Amplify, Tasker, Greenify etc. or whatever it is, has turned out to be too complicated and ridiculous for me. A few days ago I took some time to investigate about doze and decided to mess up with the phone once more.

At first, I made my own doze settings as below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomseasons (Post 66919213)
Hi all, after hours and hours of reading (English is not my native language) and testing, I think I have set up a pretty good settings for Doze.

I'm not saying that other profiles are bad, but the matter is that some profiles were set up very early while all of us hadn't understood Doze thoroughly yet :D

Before we start, let's talk about what I'm aiming for. Basically, doze profiles are aiming for "decrease the time it takes for the phone to sleep, and increase the duration between awake checkups". But is that what we should look forward to? For me, it's reasonable to have my phone sleep soon, however I won't want my phone dead all the time, so I'm heading to "After I leave my phone, wait a short enough time then sleep, but don't let the phone sleep for too long, instead wake it soon enough while decrease the duration of the wakeups. Then after I leave it for a long enough time which really means I'm not using my phone, multiply the time between wakeups."

This way compared to other profiles, for daily use my phone stays more ready (shorter sleeping periods), but it also works less (shorter awake duration), and when I don't use my phone, it will actually catch up with the long sleeping states soon (higher multiply factor).

Here are my settings with that motto in mind:

*** all the parameters are in seconds ***

A) ------------------------------------------
Inactive Timeout - inactive_to: 180
Sensing Timeout - sensing_to: 0
Locating Timeout - locating_to: 0
Location Accuracy - location_accuracy: 50

- This one is easy. I want my phone to sleep right away after 3 minutes of being inactive (screen off), ignoring any motion. You can change the inactive timeout to whatever number that suits you. As we set the location timeout to 0, the Location Accuracy doesn't matter anymore, however I increase it to 50 although just because... I can do it :cool:, it's a safe number.
------------------------------------------------


B)-----------------------------------------------
Motion Inactive Timeout - motion_inactive_to: 60
- This number means if the phone checks and finds any motion, it will wait 60 seconds to check for any SIGNIFICANT (strong motion, different from light motion as in the sensing period) motion again. As we don't check for any motion in the beginning, this parameter is useless, however I still set it at 60 seconds, imagine for some particular reason the doze does check for motion (again, this won't happen if the app works as it's supposed to), then I don't want my phone to stay as long as 600 seconds (the default) value, and I don't want my phone to checks too often either, hence I want it to check again after one minute.
Idle After Inactive Timeout - idle_after_inactive_to: 0
- I want my phone to sleep right away after the inactive timeout elapses, I don't want it to wait to check for significant motion, so zero for this.
----------------------------------------------

C) -----------------------------------------------
Idle Pending Timeout - idle_pending_to: 15 seconds.
Max Idle Pending Timeout - max_idle_pending_to: 120 seconds.
Idle Pending Factor - idle_pending_factor: 2.

- This means: when the phone first wakes up (the criteria of when it will happen is in part D below), it will be kept awake for 15 seconds. The second times it will wake up, it will multiply by 2, which is 30 seconds, and so on. The maximum duration of wakeup is 120 seconds.

For me, I want to wake my phone soon enough (see in part D) and decrease the time of the phone being awake. I think 15 seconds for the first time is long enough. You can change it as you want, though :silly:
-----------------------------------------------

D) -----------------------------------------------
Idle Timeout - idle_to: 1200s (default is 3600)
Max Idle Timeout - max_idle_to: 21600s
Idle Factor - idle_factor: 2.

- After 1200s (20 mins), my phone will wake and check for 15 seconds (see part C), then the next time it wakes, it will need 40 minutes before waking up. The maximum time is basically as long as we want so 21600s is okay.
- I'm thinking to change this part to 900s or 720s and idle factor 3, which means that the phone will wake up sooner, at <=15 minutes mark, but after that, the sleeping duration will increase 3 times faster.
------------------------------------------

E) -----------------------------------------------
Min Time to Alarm - min_time_to_alarm: 3600.
This is the minimum time we will allow until the next upcoming alarm for us to actually go in to idle mode.
I don't get what this sentence says, my English sometimes sucks, but I guess it means if the next alarm is within the set number then the phone won't try to go into idle mode. I leave it default.

Max Temp App Whitelist Duration - max_temp_app_whitelist_duration: 20s
Max amount of time to temporarily whitelist an app when it receives a high tickle.
- Set this number whatever you feel like, for me I think 20s is enough.

MMS Temp App Whitelist Duration - mms_temp_app_whitelist_duration: 0
Amount of time we would like to whitelist an app that is receiving an MMS.
- Set this number whatever you feel like, I live in Vietnam, I don't ever use MMS at all so 0 for it.

SMS Temp App Whitelist Duration - sms_temp_app_whitelist_duration: 15s
Amount of time we would like to whitelist an app that is receiving an SMS.
- Set this number whatever you feel like, for me I think 15s is enough.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

BRIEF TEST:

1. Turned the screen off, sent an email to myself within 3 minutes (inactive timeout duration), the phone notified right away, no delay, 7 tries, worked every time.

2. Turned the screen off, waited at least 3 minutes, sent an email to myself, the phone didn't notify right away. If I turned the screen on, of course the email came right away. Out of 8 tries, 6 times the phone notified me between 15min - 20min mark, which followed closely to my rule. 2 times it notified me between 5 - 10 minutes. I think it was because some app woke my phone unexpectedly.

After 2 days, the observation showed me that my Doze Setting has been working decently, I'm quite satisfied. I will keep testing though :cool::silly::victory:

Sorry for my bad English.


Edited: English and grammar.

As some guy pointed out, some settings don't act in the way I thought they do, anyway I was having a fantastic result with these settings. My phone was deepsleeping often enough, it woke up after every short time, but each time was short, exactly my purpose.

Then a few days ago, I installed Greenify with xposed, and as it turned out, it's working TOO GOOD. :eek:, no matter how many apps I run, Facebook, Messenger, Maps, 8tracks, internet-based apps, clouds etc... (I only Greenify very few of of them), the phone changes its state to idle too strictly and too perfectly and I want it to be. For example, my current doze records were like:

8:00 - turned off my phone
8:04 - 8:19: doze // 14 mins
8:19 - 8:20: awake // 20s
8:20 - 9:00: doze // 40 mins
9:00 - 9:01: doze // 1 mins.
9:01 - 13:00: doze / 4 hours.

etc...

If you have read my doze configs, you can see that my phone now nearly perfect as my settings, I set it to doze after 3 minutes, then after 15 mins wake up 15 secs, then doze for 45 minutes.... etc... without any big difference. The weird thing is that music apps still works perfectly for me. :angel::eek::cool:

Now with Zenfone 2, my phone only drains 3% through the night, with all wifi gps 3G on, and I can still receive notifications ! Zenfone 2 users please come and praise me lol :eek::cool:

It's been a long time since I last visited xda so I don't know if anybody has tried this, it would be a shame if I'm sharing what everyone already knew, but if not I guess this post would be very useful for many people.

Cheers, for a better and more simpler Android world ! :silly:


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/25d5GHG
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment